Contact Our Firm
Thomas J. McCarthy
President and Chief Executive Officer
Thomas McCarthy has been selected as a Super Lawyer in Michigan Super Lawyers magazine every year since 2008 for his expertise in eminent domain and is recognized as a subject matter expert on public infrastructure land acquisition matters. He as obtained the Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent® rating.
Prior to joining the Monaghan firm, Mr. McCarthy was a commercial litigator in private practice from 1985-1987. From 1987 to 1993, he was Director of Special Projects for the County of Wayne and was lead condemnation trial counsel for Wayne County’s acquisition of private property for the expansion of the Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW) in the 1990s.
- Wayne State University Law School, Juris Doctor, 1984
- University of Michigan-Dearborn, with distinction, 1980
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- State Bar of Michigan (1984)
- Real Property Law Section (Eminent Domain Committee)
- Public Corporation Law Section
- International Right of Way Association
- Special Mediator (Condemnation)
- Circuit Court and District Count Case Evaluator (Commercial), Oakland County
- Detroit Bar Association
- Mt. Elliott Cemetery Association v. City of Troy, 171 F3d 398 (1999).
- County of Wayne v. Hathcock, 471 Mich 445 (2004) [amicus curiae, City of Dearborn]
- County of Wayne v. Wayne County Employees Retirement System, 267 Mich App 230; 704 NW2d 117 (2005)
- Michigan Dept. of Transp. v. Frankenlust Lutheran Congregation, 269 Mich App 570, 711 NW2d 453 (2006)